Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Dev Journal 01: Cardboard Project 2016

Welcome to my second attempt at creating a Development journal. We’ve started a new Game project that is going well, so I want to document the progress and share it here in our blog.

Before I start talking about our new project, I want to make clear that our previous project is not cancelled, we just shelved it. It was too ambitious and we didn’t had the knowledge to implement many of the features we wanted to add in the game. One part in the game that I personally didn’t manage to work in the game were the animations of sprites and window transitions. The timings were off and static, it just didn’t look good. We don’t want to half-ass the development of the game so we decided to shelve the project and work on something else that will help us gain the experience needed. Enter the new Game Project which we’ll call “Cardboard”… for now.

Our new project “Cardboard”, like our previous Project, is a puzzle game. The idea was brought in by my brother LuiGiNiMa. During a downtime at work he started doodling on paper and playing some pencil paper type of games until he remembered a game he used to play back in high school. He showed the game to me and a couple of friends and we all enjoyed it, the challenge it offered and how easy was to understand were the key points on why we ended up liking it. So, ideas of expanding the game mechanics and make it into a Mobile App started. After bouncing ideas back and forth for a few hours, we ended up with enough content to actually proceed with the development of the game.


I know I haven’t said much about what the game is actually about, but, until I make an actual playable demo, I won’t say much. Just know, it’s a game you can play on paper, only we are going to expand the game even further when moving it into mobile.

With the Concept in mind we looked at the tools we need and we ended up with the same toolset as our previous project. So far the project Cardboard has been simple to program, it doesn’t require much animation or visuals and the main mechanics were simple to implement. We’re developing a Mobile Game using Abobe AIR, programmed with the IDE Flash Develop, we’re using the framework Axelite to handle the game mechanics and all the visual assets are done using Adobe Flash CS6. Links for each tool can be found here:

Refer to my previous Journal Entry for a little more info about why we chose these tools: Dev Journal 01: Intro and Tools.

We're aiming to have this game available first for Newgrounds, then Android and finally iOS. These plans can change depending on the development process

So, now that you have an idea of the game and know the tools we’ll use, we can move onto the next step, which is the setup. Which will be on the next Journal Entry. I know I’ve said this before on my previous Journal Entry, but, we’ve had good progress with this game and I’m certain I can document the progress all the way to the publish day.

If you want to keep updated with these Development Journal, you can follow me on Facebook or Twitter. We also post weekly content like drawings, webcomics and podcasts.
Thanks for reading! See you all next time!


- GerLuNiMa